Monday, September 18, 2017

1 Year Blogiversary

đŸ˜‰Today's my Blogiversary!!! Woohoo!!!  Today marks the one year anniversary of my blog.  It's crazy how fast time flies.


Why blog:
This blog started as a way for me to document my projects.  I was hoping that my adventure as a baby sewer would help new sewers overcome problems they face along the way.  I envisioned experienced sewers and seamstress would offer tips and tricks of the trade.

First year thoughts:
I have enjoyed this first year.  Sometimes I get off track and sometimes I get overly excited and forget to add details to my reviews.  I will make an effort to post reviews with a lot of details.  Sometimes I forget to take photos of my projects.  Unfortunately, that leads to projects that have not been post d.  I have three complete projects that I made in July.  I will try to take photos this week.

There was a month or two where I pressured myself to make way to projects on a deadline.  That is not realistic.  Every project is different and require different skills.  I had to slow down  and enjoy the process.

Confession:
I thought that sewing would be easy and I would be a pro and that is not the case.  There's times where I want to throw my sewing machine out the window.  I haven't done that yet.   I have learned to step away from my sewing machine and sometimes I work on a different proj Ct.    It's okay to not be perfect.  Did I say that?  Yeah yes I did.  It's okay not to get it right the first time.  Try and try again.  Isn't that what we tell our children?  Patience is a virtue.  That is how we should do everything in life.  Do every task with patience and with passion.There's some skills that we have to practice before getting it right.

Where it began:
When I was 14 my mom sat me in front of a sewing machine and thought me how to make home decor.  Never did I think that 20 years later I would be sewing garments.  Mom thank you for having patience with me.  Here is a picture of my first garment.

I made this skirt following Mimi G's maxi skirt tutorial.  I was 7 months pregnant when I made this skirt.

I decided to compile a list of all of my favorite project from my first year.


 Favorite Projects from my First Year:


First Formal gown--actually the only formal gown but not the last!
First time working with Sequin 
My daughter's Valentine's day dance outfit New Look 6388

Favorite jacket Burda 7734

Favorite skirt McCall 7540

Favorite Outfit. Self drafted knit pencil skirt and Mimi G flutter top

Favorite Mommy and Me Outfits
Simpicity 1451 and Simplicity 8124

Favorite Trendy

What I've learned:
-Patience lots of it!
-Start projects early. Working on last minute projects results in very little sleep, frustration, and mistakes
-Organizing projects
-Hoarding, I mean stashing. Lol! I have over 400 patterns and way too much fabric and notions.  I think I am addicted.
-Always do your research before starting your project.  Sometimes you have to look at a RTW garment for tricks.

We're off to start year 2 of this blog!  I can't wait to see where this adventure takes me!!!

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment