Sunday, February 19, 2017

My Encounter with Dangerous Fabric---New Look 6388

My family has absolutely no respect for my Sewing Plan!!

This adventure begins with my ll year old daughter telling me "Mom, I have a Valentine's Dance on the 10th.  So we hit the stores and come out empty handed.  My loving husband suggests that I should make her dress.  It's an awesome idea but amthere was one problem.  I had only 4 days to make a beautiful Valentine's Day dress.My daughter and I searched online for some inspiration and found "the One."


Out of nowhere in my pattern stash I found New Look 6388.  I don't remember when I bought this pattern or why?  But God knew this day was going to happen.

In the mist of the chaos, I started to panic. I have never worked with Tulle or Sequin.  So I accepted my fate and plunged into this new episode of sewing with "dangerous fabric."

New Look 6388 was the perfect pattern to start with. I cut View D for the bodice front and  View A for the bodice back and sleeves.
 
Fushsia tulle

Cutting sequin is not easy.  I almost lost my eye!  Dangerous fabric!!!

 I shorten the sleeves to make sleeve caps.

Bodice back

Front bodice

 
First fitting!  Looking good!

Fitting: Back View

Armhole!

Fushsia Tulle to make Tulle Skirt
Tulle Skirt


Final product!  My daughter

After the dance


I only broke one sewing needle.  Whoop whoop!!!!!!

I thought sewing Sequin would be harder than sewing tulle.  Man was I wrong.  I did not curse or swear, but I made up my own dictionary of curse words.  After an hour, I walked away and relaxed to some Beethoven (classical music).



Pattern Review

Pattern Description:

This party dress for Girls features high low skirt with overlay or sleeveless dress with contrast waistband and lower band, both with bow in back, and short sleeve dress with ribbon or sleeveless dress with shoulder bows.

Pattern Sizing: 

8 to 16 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes, it looks like the picture.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

The instructions were easy to follow.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I loved the pattern.  The instructions did a great job going into detail about

Fabric Used:

Tulle, lining, and sequin

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Instead of making a dress.  I decided to make the top and skirt separate. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I might make this dress again for my younger daughter.  It is an adorable dress so I recommend this pattern for others.

Conclusion:

This pattern was used to make for my daughter's Valentine's Day Dance top and skirt.  It is an adorable.  I used the front of Bodice D but the back of Bodice A.  Working with Sequin and tulle was tricky.  The final is so beautiful that is worth it.  For more pictures click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment