Skip to main content

My Encounter with Dangerous Fabric---New Look 6388

My family has absolutely no respect for my Sewing Plan!!

This adventure begins with my ll year old daughter telling me "Mom, I have a Valentine's Dance on the 10th.  So we hit the stores and come out empty handed.  My loving husband suggests that I should make her dress.  It's an awesome idea but amthere was one problem.  I had only 4 days to make a beautiful Valentine's Day dress.My daughter and I searched online for some inspiration and found "the One."


Out of nowhere in my pattern stash I found New Look 6388.  I don't remember when I bought this pattern or why?  But God knew this day was going to happen.

In the mist of the chaos, I started to panic. I have never worked with Tulle or Sequin.  So I accepted my fate and plunged into this new episode of sewing with "dangerous fabric."

New Look 6388 was the perfect pattern to start with. I cut View D for the bodice front and  View A for the bodice back and sleeves.
 
Fushsia tulle

Cutting sequin is not easy.  I almost lost my eye!  Dangerous fabric!!!

 I shorten the sleeves to make sleeve caps.

Bodice back

Front bodice

 
First fitting!  Looking good!

Fitting: Back View

Armhole!

Fushsia Tulle to make Tulle Skirt
Tulle Skirt


Final product!  My daughter

After the dance


I only broke one sewing needle.  Whoop whoop!!!!!!

I thought sewing Sequin would be harder than sewing tulle.  Man was I wrong.  I did not curse or swear, but I made up my own dictionary of curse words.  After an hour, I walked away and relaxed to some Beethoven (classical music).



Pattern Review

Pattern Description:

This party dress for Girls features high low skirt with overlay or sleeveless dress with contrast waistband and lower band, both with bow in back, and short sleeve dress with ribbon or sleeveless dress with shoulder bows.

Pattern Sizing: 

8 to 16 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes, it looks like the picture.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

The instructions were easy to follow.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I loved the pattern.  The instructions did a great job going into detail about

Fabric Used:

Tulle, lining, and sequin

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Instead of making a dress.  I decided to make the top and skirt separate. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I might make this dress again for my younger daughter.  It is an adorable dress so I recommend this pattern for others.

Conclusion:

This pattern was used to make for my daughter's Valentine's Day Dance top and skirt.  It is an adorable.  I used the front of Bodice D but the back of Bodice A.  Working with Sequin and tulle was tricky.  The final is so beautiful that is worth it.  For more pictures click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.





My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.


My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.



I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.


Horrible pictures





Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?

I

Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...