Skip to main content

Working with Faux Suede

I love love love McCall 7441!!!!  I love it so much that I made another one.  Yep, I said it, I made another one.  This time I made View A using an olive ultrasuede.  It is absolutely beautiful and an easy make. 

This was my first time working with Ultrasuede.  I am a beginner, I'm not supposed to work with difficult fabrics.  Why do I keep challenging myself?  The answer is simple: thats the only way to learn and improve my sewing skills.

Before starting a project you're supposed to prep your fabric. Thankfully this faux suede can be laundered in cold water.

 I was going to take my fabric to the dry cleaners.  It completely slipped my mind.  It wasn't until I started cutting that I realized that I did not prep my fabric.  After kicking myself, I threw my fabric in the wash with Woolite.  I rushed to my phone and researched the best way to dry faux suede.  I found many different answers but the most common was to lay my fabric flat to dry. Some researches suggest brushing

I used a size 80 sewing needle and regular pins.

I will make this pattern at least one more time.  Maybe view B or D.


Much better lighting!
 
Pattern Description: Misses jacket

Pattern Sizing:
L to XXL

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes!
Were the instructions easy to follow?

Super easy instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

There's nothing to dislike. It is an easy pattern for a beautiful and trendy jacket.
Fabric Used:

Olive Ultrasuede

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

None

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes. Definitely recommend.
Conclusion:

I've made this pattern before. This time I decided to make View A which is the shorter version of the first one I made. I will probably try this pattern again in View B or D.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.





My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.


My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.



I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.


Horrible pictures





Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?

I

Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...