Skip to main content

Fluttering --Mimi G Top

 Impulsive [im-puhl-siv]: actuated or swayed by emotional or involuntary impulses

Impulsive sewing is that a thing? If so, I am probably the leader of the pack.  I was shopping the other day and found a cute pair of loose pants.  I mean just gorgeous and so I had to find just the right blouse for it.  The first image that came to my mind was Mimi G's flutter top.





That night, I looked up Mimi G's Tutorial  on YouTube. I could not sleep until I made this top.  I was obsessed I tell you!!!   It took about an hour and a half to make.  Not bad!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  Pattern Review

Pattern Description:

Exposed shoulder flutter top

Pattern Sizing: 

Made to fit your measurements.  That's the create thing about sewing!!! 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

No envelope-I used a video tutorial by Mimi G.  It looks just like the picture she posted on her blog.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Mimi G did an awesome job with the instruction (on the video tutorial).

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

There is nothing to dislike about the pattern.

Fabric Used:

White knit that I bought at Joanns

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I added an inch to the flutter.  It is not noticeable because I am busty.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes I would recommend this to others.  I just cut out the fabric to make another top like this. 

Conclusion:
I was kind of lost towards the end of the video.  I was not sure how the elastic encasement worked around the arms.  Once I started sewing it all came together.  This project took me a little over an hour to do.  This pattern is a winner.  I am busty so the next top I make I will add 3 inches to the flutter.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.





My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.


My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.



I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.


Horrible pictures





Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?

I

Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...