Skip to main content

Pretty baby flowers Simplicity 8304

Hello world!!!

This fabric of pretty baby flowers is now an adorable dress for my 9 month old daughter.  I envision making many different dresses with this pattern. Let me start by saying my daughter is very tall for her age; so I decided to cut a size large. I figured if the dress was too big on her that she would grow into it. Man was I wrong. The size Large bodice fit just right and the skirt is super long.

Did I mention that there's also a headband?

Pattern Description:
Create cute and unique sportswear for babies! Pattern includes dress with heart shape elbow patches, top, leggings, headbands and stylish bibs.
Pattern Sizing:

I cut the size Large

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

It looks like the photo

Were the instructions easy to follow?

The instructions were very easy to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

There is nothing to dislike about this pattern.  It's truly an easy make.

Fabric Used:

Blended cotton

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I did not make any changes to this pattern. Maybe next time.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

 Yes. I am thinking about making one in denim.


The instructions was superb. I was a little worried how to sew the bias tape around the neckline but the instructions and photos were detailed. Thumbs up to the writer.

I am planning to make a few more dresses like this one.  Next time I will add a half of an inch around the bodice and shorten the skirt by 2 inches.


Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.

My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.

My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.

I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.

Horrible pictures

Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?


Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...