Thursday, December 22, 2016

Vogue 1520 Drum Roll Please

1520 is ready to go!  I was able to complete it in time for the Company Holiday Party.  I wore it with a pair of Black Velvet heels (I don't remember where I bought them).  I live in South Florida.  Even though it is "winter" it is 72 degrees outside.  So I decided not to add the sleeves.  Who knows, I might add the sleeves later.

Please see my review below
Pattern Review
Pattern Description:
Very close-fitting, lined dress has right armhole and left side gathers, lower left side seam with slit, back-V, bateau neckline, invisible zippers at back and sleeve seams, and train. Optional: Beaded trim.

Pattern Sizing:
14 to 22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
For the most part.  I decided not to install the sleeves.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
It was straight forward.  There was some confusion with the lining, but I figured it out.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked everything about the pattern.

Fabric Used:
Stretch Velvet from Vogue Fabrics; Lining Interlock

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I decided to make this dress for my Company's Holiday Party.  The train was a little too long for this event so I ditched it.  Initially I cut out all of the pattern pieces.  During my first fitting I decided not to install the sleeves.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would not sew this pattern again.  Maybe if I renew my wedding vows.  I would definitely recommend this pattern to others. 

Conclusion:
This was my first time making a formal dress.  At first I was horrified.  I loved the entire experience.  I installed my first zipper and first lining.  Not to mention out of all fabrics I decided to use Velvet.  This dress took some time to make.  I hand basted every step before sewing it on my sewing machine.  I decided to shorten the dress and leave off the sleeves.  This dress has armhole and side gathers.  I ruffled the armhole and side gathers with my sewing machine and applied the stay tape.  Despite the stay tape it did not stay put.  Finally I ruffled the armhole and side by hand. The lining was hand sewn.  Check out the pics from my adventure here, here, here, here, here, and here.

1 comment: