Skip to main content

Vogue 1520 8 Days Left

✔Learning and singing and singing and learning in the rain.

This is my first adventure with Velvet.  I had to figure out how to cut the fabric on the "nap"
The Nap of my fabric not a nap on my bed. (A midday nap would be nice!). So the nap can be determined by running your hand on the fabric.  One direction will feel nice and smooth while the opposite direction will feel rough.   The soft and smooth side is the right way.  One I figured out the nap, I drew an arrow with chalk on the fabric to indicate the nap.

Next consists of cutting my pattern pieces

As for tools needed:
✔Red velvet fabric
✔2 7 inch zippers for sleeves
✔1 22 inch zipper for back of dress
✔Stretch needle
✔Silk thread

Step 1 involved ruffling the armhole and front bodice side.  For some odd reason I love ruffling.  More tomorrow...

Progress Report Now that you've seen my progress on 1520, here's an update on 2016 Sewing Plan.  My goal is to complete every project by December 31st. 
  • Simplicity 8202B: Done. Done. Done. (I'm singing and dancing in the rain...)
  • New Look 6449B: I need to reinstall the facing.  I did a horrible job the first time
  • McCall 7441C:  Need to install the sleeves (I'm really scared of sleeves)
  • Simplicity 8124: Pattern cut but I'm not sure if I like the fabric I choose.  Back to the drawing board
  • Vogue 1520: Cut pattern and Fabric
  • Baby Leggings:  Partner And Fabric cut. Wearable Muslim Done
  • Sew much ado Infant peasant dress: Done!  Photos coming soon.
  • Sew much ado Infant peasant dress with scallop edge and larger:
  • Simplicity : Infant set Done! Photos coming soon.  
  • Simplicity shorts: Done! Photos coming soon!
  • See and Sew : shorts set for kids.  Done!  Photos coming soon!
  • Simplicity 8110: make at least 3 bibs
  • Vogue 9173: skirt for mommy  Could not find the fabric so I am making her a dress instead. 

I have a lot of pictures to take.  :-)



Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.

My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.

My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.

I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.

Horrible pictures

Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?


Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...