Skip to main content

2016 Year Review

In 3 hours and 48 minutes it will be the wnd of 2016 and the beginning of 2017!!!!

This year I embarked on an adventure to become a sewist.  It's crazy how time flies.  I've learned so much.

My adventure began around April with my Mimi G lime green Maxi skirt/dress
to using my first sewing pattern (baby set) It's So Easy Simplicity 1188 in June


to making my first gown Vogue 1520 in December.


Here's a list of the garments I made this year.

Baby L 

1) Nursing Cover
2) Pink Gingham Set
3) Pink & White Polka Dot Booties
4) Yellow & White Peasant Dress
5) White Leggings
6) Front Pocket Bib

Babette ( 2 Year)
1) See and Sew Cross Back Shorts Set
2) White and Red Shorts

Babouska (6 Year)

1) See and Sew Cross Back Shorts Set
2) Purple Floral Dress (it's in the garment graveyard)
3) Simplicity 8202 purse
4) Simplicity 8202B White floral dress

Bam Bam (My Son)
1) Red Cargo Pants (It's in the garment graveyard)

Booboo (11 Year Old)
1) Simplicity 1165 Blue multi shorts
2) black and red floral skirt
3) Orange and White Striped Skirt
4) Black top (Garment Graveyard)
5) Pink polka dot dress
6) Joyful Teddy Bear

Moi
1) Lime green maxi skirt/dress
2) Grey T-Shirt Dress
3) Orange floral skirt
4) Black and orange maxi skirt/dress
5) black Mermaid skirt
6) blue Vogue 8898 top
7) burgundy Vogue Dress
8) Vogue 1520 Holiday Party Dress

Grandmomma
1) Yellow Vogue 8898 top
2) Black Mermaid Skirt

26 Wearable Garments
3 in the graveyard
5 Ufos

This has truly been an awesome year!!!!
Let's see what 2017 has in store.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.





My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.


My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.



I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.


Horrible pictures





Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?

I

Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...