Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Mommy's Hat Vogue 7464

My mother loves accessories: hats, watches, purses, and more. If it is sparkly it is a winner. She recently found a video on YouTube about the Art of making hats. I figured since she loves hatsso much that I would make one for her.
Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor
My journey began with finding the right pattern.  Vogue has a beautiful selection of hat patterns.  I hope they release more more hat patterns soon.  I decided to try my hand at Vogue 7464.

Any time I use a Vogue pattern, I have to cross my eyes to read the instructions. Shockingly this one wasn't so bad.




It was pretty easy to make. I had a tough time finding interfacing for felt!!  There has to be a guide on interfacing for different fabric type.  If you have something like that please share it with me.


 When I originally read the notions section I overlooked "elastic."  When it was time to install the elastic I realized I did not have black eleastic.  The fact that the elastic was white drove me crazy.  First thing the following morning, I drove to my neighborhood Wal-Mart and bought black elastic.




I made view E which was extremely easy.  Next time I would love to try the larger hat (View A) or the green hat (View B) above it.  Isn't the green hat (View B) marvelous!!!

Pattern Review

Pattern Description:
Package includes patterns and instructions for five hats based on styles from the 1930s and 1940s. A:Contrast ribbon details. B: Contrast side. CD: Self-fabric flowers. E. All hats are one size fits most.



Pattern Sizing: 

One size fits all

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

It does look like the photo.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Very easy for a Vogue pattern. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I'm not too fond of the elastic used in this design. I understand that this pattern is designed to fit every head size, but the elastic takes away from the elegance.  When I make this hat again I will need to figure how to omit the elastic.

Fabric Used:

Wool felt

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

None.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes. My mother loves hats so I will make a few more in different colors.

Conclusion:

Vogue 7464 View E was an easy pattern to follow. Like I mentioned above I was not fond of the elastic.  You can't see the elastic in the back but I know it is there. Despite that minor detail I love the graphics and I know my mommy does too. I will definitely make this pattern again.

No comments:

Post a Comment