Sunday, January 15, 2017

Baby It's Cold Outside See & Sew 6364

It's not cold anymore so why did I make a fleece baby bunting?
Unfortunatly, I had a death in the family that required a trip to Suitland, Maryland.  So with the weather being in the 40s this week a baby bunting is a necessity .
After making Joyful Bear with fleece I thought I would be a pro!  Working with Fleece is not easy at all.  

Fleece does not move well on the feed dogs.  In an attempt to get the fleece to move along the feed dogs I used a 3 stitch length.  
I threaded a sewing needle and made two stitches and then placed the bunting on the sewing machine.  I pulled at the sewing needle to help move the fleece along the feed dogs.  

 Zip installation:  every step of this project was hand basted.  I hand basted the zipper before it was machine sewn.  The pattern instructions did an awesome job explaining how to install a zipper.  I got it right the first time.  WOOHOO!  I'm still patting myself on the back.

Besides the zipper, installing the collar was tricky.  I didn't want it to look crooked.  I think I did a good job.  What do you think?

All in all I am happy with the final results.


Pattern Description:
Infants' Hoodie, Pull-On Pants, Bunting and Beanie
Unlined jacket has partially elasticized hood, wrong side shows. A: Pockets, stitched hem. Pants have elastic waist. Sleeve hem A and B: Narrow hem, longer than regular length, rolled-up, wrong side shows. Bunting has tab and snap. C: Collar, sleeves and cuffs. A, C: Front zipper. Self-lined hat.

Pattern Sizing:
NB-S-M-L-XL
I cut the XL.  My daughter will grow into it.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Super easy to follow.  The person who wrote the directions did an awesome job!  Especially explaining how to install a zipper.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the pattern.  The final product looks store bought (RTW).

Fabric Used:
Polar Fleece

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Definitely recommend this pattern.  I will probably sew View B.

Conclusion: 
All in all I am happy with the final results.  This project too about  an afternoon to put together.  I started laughed at myself when it was time to sew the cuffs to the sleeves. How in the world do I sew tiny cuffs on a sewing machine???!!!??? I never figured that out.  The cuffs were hand sewn to the sleeves.   This project was my second time working with a zipper.  The instructions were clear which was great.  The collar scared me but the instructions put me at ease.  The instructions were top of the line.


No comments:

Post a Comment