Skip to main content

Buzzing Buzzer




My daughter was given a challenge to complete during Thanksgiving break.  She needed to make something to hide a buzzer/alarm.  Where should she hide an alarm ...in a Teddy Bear!

So this became a mommy and daughter project. We worked together tracing and cutting out pieces.  It was a great way to catch up with my daughter and I love spending quality time with my babies.

(Sorry for the dark pictures...horrible lighting.)

How Joyful Bear
Find pattern here

Pattern Description:

Adorable teddy bear

Pattern Sizing: 

N/a

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes thank goodness!  When  I saw the pattern pieces I was a little worried.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Kind of.  Some of the names did not match.  The pattern directions states "Forehead" but the pattern piece says Front.  It was frustrating because we were not sure if we were using the right piece and we did not want to make any mistakes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I liked how the pattern was label.  Each corner or curve has a letter.  It became a matching game.  We had to match the letters to see where to sew pieces together.  Had some trouble with the labeling.



Fabric Used:

Fleece---It's so soft.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

No changes were made. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I am not sure if I am going to make the Joyful Teddy Bear again.  I might make it for a baby shower gift. 

Conclusion: 

The pattern description on the pattern piece and in the directions would labeled differently.  The direction also includes a pattern number for each piece, however the pieces were not numbered. It was kind of tricky working with fleece.  I used a stretch needle and a walking foot.  I am not sure if that was the beat way but it worked. Every piece was basted by my lovely daughter before stitched on the sewing machine.   This project required some hand stitching.  To attach the head to the body I had to hand sew them together with an invisible stitch.


head

Front of bear.  Bully button poking out.
I'm too sexy for my tail.  Back of Joyful bear


This was adorable.  my daughter's teacher was very impressed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.





My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.


My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.



I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.


Horrible pictures





Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?

I

Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...