Monday, January 30, 2017

Florida..a winter wonder land? New Look 6129 Modified

 
Growing up in the Northeast, I hated cold weather.  Anything below 50 degrees I considered freezing.  Now I live in Southern Florida and the weather is the complete opposite.  There is something wrong with warm weather year round!  I know I know!  How can I say that?

 

It's the truth.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I miss winter and fall.  I miss the color of leaves changing in the fall, sweaters, scarves, gloves, coats and especially boots.



On my way home from work today, I decided to take the scenic route, along the beach.

It was 58 degrees, which is winter weather for Floridians.  Northeastern birds (tourists) wore shorts and t-shirts.  True Floridians wore coats with scarves and snow boarding boots.  I couldn't stop  laughing.
Once I calmed down, I remembered a skirt that I bought when I was a teenager.  I wish I could remember  where I bought it.  But I loved that skirt.  It was made of a fleece material with a drawstring.  In an effort to recreate that skirt I looked through my pattern. I found New Look

I cut a size 18 but it was enormous on me.  I am still working on mastering the art of pattern sizing.  More on that later.  I removed 2 inches from the width. This skirt has an elastic waistband and a drawstring.

Pattern Review 
Pattern Description:
Misses' easy pull-on skirt in four lengths with drawstring front and elastic back waist and optional pockets. Maxi length has deep side slit. 


Pattern Sizing: 

8 to 18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, for the most part.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very easy pattern to follow

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

There's  nothing to dislike about the pattern.

Fabric Used:

Fleece.  

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I followed the pattern instructions. Instead of side pockets I made a front pocket. It came out extra cute. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes.  I will probably make one this summer in a like cotton. I might make it with side pockets or even with the front pocket like this one. 

Conclusion: 

I Wanted to recreate a skirt I owned when I was a teenager. Mission accomplished!!! The fleece made for a great skirt in 50 degree weather (which is freezing for South Florida.  If it gets cold again. I might wear this skirt with a pair of boots and a leather jacket. This skirt offers a lot of options. I absolutely love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment