Skip to main content

Basketballs on Fleek--I mean Fleece Simplicity 8179

I'm sewing fleece again!!!  What was I thinking?  I have to admit it was easy this time.

I used the same tricks I used last time. My favorite is my technique to get the fleece to go through the feed dogs.

My fleece trick is pretty simple.
 Step 1:  Thread a sewing needle

Step 2: Hand sew two stitches

 Step 3: Position your fabric on the sewing machine

Step 4:  Start sewing while pulling the thread from your threaded needle.
Step 5: Cut of the thread and continue to sew.

My son loves basketball which makes
 this fabric perfect. When he saw his new pair
 of fleece pants he gave me a huge hug.
He knows how to make my day!!!

This pattern is originally from my January Sewing Plan.  Simplicity 8179 is my surprise project from my February Sewing Plan.

Simplicity 8179 was an easy sew. If you're planning to make this pattern with the cuff do not use fleece. Fleece is too thick to achieve a Rtw look.
Pattern Review

Pattern Description:

Lounge pants for the whole family in matching or coordinating fabrics with contrasting hems. 

Pattern Sizing:

Children XS to Large

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes, for the most part.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

The instructions were super easy to follow.  Simplicity 8179 is a great pattern for a beginner.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

They're nothing to dislike about the pattern.

Fabric Used:


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I omitted the contrasting hem because my fabric of choose was too bulky.


This project took an hour for me to sew up. I am a beginner and I was able able to complete this project without a worry. I do not recommend any bulky fabrics.  I was definitely make this pattern again with a thinner fabric. Next time I will include the contrasting hem.  I will also remove about 2 inches from the crotch area.


Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.

My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.

My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.

I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.

Horrible pictures

Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?


Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...