Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Off the Shoulder Yellow Dress -- Simplicity 8124


When I purchase fabric I automatically purchase 2 yards.  I think I need to change my minimum to three yards.  For this fabric I found it in the African print section at Joanns.  I knew I was going to make a dress with this fabric. I just wasn't sure which Pattern to use.

The other night I was looking at my sewing pattern stash and came across this pattern.  I had already cut the size large.  As soon as saw fabric I knew it was meant to be.  So off I go to cut  the fabric and I did not have enough fabric for both sleeves. What's a girl to do? Joann's did not have anymore of this fabric. So I decided to shorten the sleeve.  That was a no go. There was only enough for a sleeve and a half.

I Went to four stores before I found the matching fabric to make the last half of the sleeve.  I wanted to ensure my sleeves matched so I cut the first sleeve in half and stitched a 3/8 seam allowance.

Sewing Pattern Review
Pattern Description:
Misses' peasant style mini dress, and top by Cynthia Rowley have elastic neckline and sleeve band; romper has additional elastic waist for a cool effortless look. This Cynthia Rowley pattern is Easy-to-Sew.

Pattern Sizing:
XS to XL

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes for the most part except for the sleeves.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Great instructions!  This is one of Cynthia Rowley's Easy to sew patterns.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love this pattern and it is super quick to make. However, this pattern runs very large.  If I make this pattern again I am going to go down a size or two.

Fabric Used:
Cotton African Print from Joanns

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
As a result of buying only 2 yards of fabric I end up running out of fabric to make the sleeves.  I shorten the sleeve length and still ran out of fabric.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I  would love to make this dress again.  Definitely go out and pick up a copy of this pattern.  Keep in mind that the pattern runs big.  I can't wait to see your version.

Conclusion: 
I cut a size Large for this pattern.  This pattern was super easy to make.   This dress was made on my Serger and then went back and saw the side seams with my sewing machine.  I know that's  backwards.  I ran out of fabric.  Same on me!  Once I found it, it was smooth sailing.  This is a super cute dress and the sleeve do not look weird so mission accomplished. 


Every time I complete a project, I do a Show and Tell for my mom.  Her exact words "Oh, you made a Moo Moo." Did I make another house dress?  So I went back to my sewing machine and removed an 1 inch from the side seams.  I don't know if that helped.  It looks the same to me.
So I guess I made a super cute off the shoulder house dress.  I am still going to rock it like it's 1999!!!

Here's a sneak peak of my next blog post.  My mini me!


Progress  Report:
15 minutes of Sewing:  McCall 7602 done.  
Summer Sewing Plan:  Simplicity 1451 done
Skirt Fit-a-long:  I haven't made any progress.  I've been a little distracted 
Tween Series:  My daughter has selected a new pattern.  More about that soon.



#view3000

No comments:

Post a Comment