Skip to main content

Animal Print McCall 7540



Look at my beautiful mother.  She means the world to me.
My mom absolutely loves skirts.  Especially maxi skirts.  When she saw this pattern she stared at it for a very long time.  Then she put it away and stared at it again.   




 I knew I had to make this pattern for her. 

Pattern Review

Pattern Description:
Close-fitting lined top has princess seams. Close-fitting lined dress has princess seams on bodice, waist seam and hem flounce. Fitted lined skirt has hem flounce. Close-fitting lined jumpsuit has princess seams on bodice, shaped back and waist seam. C, D: Contrast overlay, purchased trim. Includes separate pattern pieces for A/B, C and D cup sizes. Note: No provisions provided for above waist adjustment.
Pattern Sizing:
14 to 22
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it does for the most part. 

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were super easy to follow

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
There's nothing to dislike about this pattern.

Fabric Used:
This is a cotton blend fabric

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I did not line the fitted skirt.  I made a facing instead.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would like to make this pattern again for myself.

Conclusion:
When I saw this pattern, I knew I needed to make it.  My mom saw the pattern envelope and fell in love with the skirt.  I have to admit I was worried about fitting the flounce to the fitted skirt.  Shockingly it was not too difficult.  Somehow, the flounce ruffled a little bit but it is not noticeable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.





My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.


My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.



I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.


Horrible pictures





Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?

I

Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...