Tuesday, May 23, 2017

More Animal print skirts McCall 7540

I made A skirt, McCall 7540 View B a few weeks ago for my mother.  I love her skirt so much that I wanted one for myself .   Unfortunately,  I did not have enough fabric to make this pattern for myself so I made a modified version of View B.

I reviewed this pattern before.  You can find it here.

For my skirt, made some Modifications:

-I used the front and back skirt from the pattern
-I did not cut the flounce piece included in the pattern
-I cut a long strip of fabric about 8 inches wide
- I made a 1 inch hem ( I know that is backwards)
- I gathered the long strip of fabric
- I adjusted the gathers to fit the hem of the skirt
Last I attached the flounce to the hem of the skirt
Sorry about the dark photos.

The first time I wore this skirt it was too loose. I wanted this to look like a pencil skirt with a mix of spring. I removed 2 inches from the side seams. 

I went back to the drawing board.  Better yet, the sewing machine.

Here's the updated skirt.  Isn't is beautiful!

 
Sewing Pattern Review
 
Pattern Description:
Close-fitting lined top has princess seams. Close-fitting lined dress has princess seams on bodice, waist seam and hem flounce. Fitted lined skirt has hem flounce. Close-fitting lined jumpsuit has princess seams on bodice, shaped back and waist seam. C, D: Contrast overlay, purchased trim. Includes separate pattern pieces for A/B, C and D cup sizes. Note: No provisions provided for above waist adjustment.
 
Pattern Sizing:
14 to 22
 
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
This is my second time using this pattern.  The first skirt I made does look like the phone on the envelope.  This skirt does not because of the modifications I made.
 
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were easy.
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Nothing to dislike
 
Fabric Used:
Blended cotton
 
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I did not have enough to make a long trumpet skirt.  So I used left over scraps from my mom's skirt to make my skirt.  My skirt has a small flounce at the hem.
 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will make this pattern at least on more time.  The next skirt will be made straight from the pattern envelope.  Do try this pattern.  You can make a casual or formal skirt with this pattern.
 
Conclusion:
 I love the modifications I made to this pattern.  It is cute and perfect for summer.  I can't wait to make this pattern again!


Sewing Week at a Glance
This weekend I didn't have time to do much sewing.  I continued to work on Simplicity 1382.  I am almost done with fitting with bodice.  This weekend I will work on the skirt.

15-minute Sewing:
Last night it was more like 45 minutes.  Woohoo!  I cut out McCall 7573 for a great sew-a-long that I joined yesterday.  I was able to cut out the pattern pieces.

Oh I forgot to mention 


Sew Much to do, Sew little time is running a sew along for McCall pattern 7573.  This sew-a-long is a little different than you're normal sew-a-long.  Ok here's how it works.  Every day you have to squeeze in 15 minutes of sewing to make McCall 7573. This pattern does not look like it is too hard but I have not read the instructions yet.  Starting today, on my blog I am going to post my 15-minutes of sewing. I don't know if I'll have time to post updates every day but I will try at least twice a week.With only 15 minutes a day let's see how long it takes to make this blouse:

Will you be sewing this blouse with us?











No comments:

Post a Comment