Skip to main content


Wait!  I forgot to mention my 15-minutes of sewing.  Earlier this week I mentioned that I would post updates on my 15 minutes of sewing at least twice a week.  Here we go:

15-minute Sew-a-long: 

 McCall 7573 pattern pieces cut.  My fabric arrived today from Fabric Mart.  I am not fully in love with my fabric selection so, I going to continue my search as I work on a muslin.  I would do a cart wheel (I'm going to break my neck doing it because I don't know how to do a cartwheel).

Sewing Week at a Glance
I was extremely frustrated with the bodice of Simplicity 1382.  I left it on my sewing machine for two days before I decided to touch it again.  I'm starting to think my issues stems from the fabric I am using...???
I did some adjusting to my muslin for Vogue 1531.  I have some extra fabric in the neckline.  
I was able to complete Kwik Sew 4207 but my neck binding is horrible.  I need lots and lots of practice. 
Sewing Plan
I have quite a few items cut and ready for assembly.
I made this pattern August 2016 but I want to make it again with a knit fabric.
I absolutely love this top.  I want to make it again in a print.
This is cute and it looks pretty easy.  I will definitely lengthen this pattern.
Can't wait to figure out the sleeve.   I can rock this top like it's never been rocked before.
It's summer time so I will make at least two of these.
The crazy woman in me (I need to name her) has cut out this pattern.  I don't think I am ready to tackle pants.  Wellllll the pattern is cute and the muslin.
Shopping /Fabric Stashing
Hopefully these will not end up in my stash.  I wanted you to see some of my new goodies.
Stay toon for the next episode of my sewing adventure.
~Happy Sewing~


Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.

My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.

My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.

I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.

Horrible pictures

Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?


Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...