Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Beginning of an Addiction--McCall 6884

Oh my goodness gracious golly day!  Why haven't I made this pattern before ? Maybe it was because I was afraid of knits.  Now that I'm trying to conquer that fear I guess I am enjoying all of the patterns that I can.




I absolutely love wrap dresses.  I was hoping to find a sewing pattern for a REAL wrap dress but I guess I have to settle for a mock wrap..  I still love this dress because it is super cute.  I want to make all four views.  This time around, I made View B.  Hopefully I will have time to make this pattern in the near future.


When working with knits  I learned a way to avoid a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA).  (Especially since I don't know how to do one with knit fabric. Or at least a pattern intended for knit fabrics.). For this pattern I cut a size 18 neckline and armhole and a size 22 bust and then back down to a size 18 for the remainder of the dress.  Next time, I am going to cut a size 16 instead of a size 18. I am using a printed fabric that I bought at Joann's not too long ago.

Like the maniac I am,  I sewed the side seams together and did not attach the wrap.  So my lovely seam ripper and I spent some time with this dress.  After that this was an easy make.  I spend so much time with my seam ripper that I think I should name it.

I think I did this backwards because  I serged this dress and then I ran it through the sewing machine.  Oh did I mentioned that I used a Serger.   Yesssss I used a Serger.  Thanks to my mom for being patient with me and answering my 345,778 questions.  Love you Mommy!!!!

This dress was quick to make with only eight steps.  I took my time with this project and enjoyed the process.

Sewing Pattern Review
Pattern Description:
 Close-fitting, pullover, mock-wrap dresses have right front variations, tie ends and narrow hems.
 
Pattern Sizing:
14 to 22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it does

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The pattern was super easy to follow there's only about eight steps with great illustrations. Kudos  to the instruction writer

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the pattern. I just wish this was a real wrap dress

Fabric Used:
Folk Tile Blue Brushed ITY I picked up at Joanns

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None. 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will definitely make this pattern again most likely a different view that has the gathering on the right front side.  I definitely recommend this pattern to everyone. I mean who doesn't like a wrap dress

Conclusion: 
Since I am using a knit fabric, I cut a size 18 neckline scaled up to a size 22 in the past and then scaled back down to a size 18 for the remainder of the dress.  Now that I'm getting a little bit comfortable with knit fabric I plunged right into this project it was a quick and easy make with only  five pattern pieces.  Next time I will use stay tape for the shoulder seams. 

 In the middle of my excitement I sewed the side seams together and forgot to attach the front wrap.   Once again I had to take out my seam ripper.  

I'm planning on making View D next. I have an idea of what color fabric I want to use. I just haven't found it yet but I absolutely love love love love love this dress!!!1

My 11 year decided to make the entire family matching bracelets.  Super power bracelet huddle!!!

15 minutes of sewing:

Simplicity 8124- I am working on the sleeves and then I need to install the elastic.  It is going to be a super cute summer dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment