Friday, June 23, 2017

House Dress Simplicity 8379

This was my first time working with slub knit, I was not fond of it.  So this dress has became a wearable muslin/house dress.


I am starting to see some cute versions of this dress in the sewing world.  I was determined to make a cute version for myself.
Sewing Pattern Review
Pattern Description:
 This knit dress has only one main pattern piece making it super easy to sew and perfect for beginners. The pull-on dress is sleeveless with a round neckline. Use a knit fabric with a lot of drape to complement the side-draping detail on this dress.
Pattern Sizing:
XXS to XXL
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it does.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were super easy and thoroughly explain the steps to sew with knits.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love everything about this pattern.  There's nothing to dislike.
Fabric Used:
I used a knit “slub” which was just a mess.  This fabric is very fluid and hangs beautifully.  It was horrible sewing.  I need to figure out how to sew knit fabrics.  I guess that’s my focus for the next few months.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
No alterations.  I was concerned about the length of the dress.  When I made the knit dress in the slub fabric I only had 2 yards instead of the 2.25 suggested on the pattern envelope.  So, I didn't have enough fabric to lengthen. . 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I am definitely going to make this pattern again.  I need a cute summer dress!  I definitely recommend this pattern.  It is a quick and easy pattern. 
Conclusion: 
I was not confident about which size to cut.  For the neckline, shoulders, and armhole I cut a size Large.  I scaled up to an XL for the bust area and then cut the remainder of the dress in a size Large. I used a zig zag Stitch as instructed in the pattern.  The fabric pulled and I mean really pulled when I ran it through my sewing machine.  My armhole binding separated from the armhole. After reinstalling the armhole binding, it still looked like it was going to separate.  I realized at that moment, that I need to research tips to sew with knits

15 Minutes of Sewing
Simplicity 8124—I'm done with the side seam.  Still need fabric for the second sleeve.

Vogue 1531-I am going to Muslin the skirt and tweak the bodice Muslin. And THEN!!!  I can cut into my fashion fabric.  Oh yeah!!!!  I can't wait to wear this baby!

In the sewing basket:  These patterns have been cut and/or fabric cut and ready to become garments. 
I also need to work on McCall 7542 for my beautiful mommy!  I guess this is my sewing plan.  It is not official.  It is subject to change.  Because for some odd reason I'm an impulsive sewing.:-)

Progress Report:
Simplicity 1382 --> Waistband interfaced 
McCall 6884--> Pattern Cut and Fabric Cut
Simplicity 1451--> Pattern Cut and Fabric Cut.  

Sewing Basket/Summer Sewing Plan 

Vogue 8898--> I want to try this pattern out again
McCall 7543--> Pattern Cut and Fabric Cut 
See & Sew 5908--> Pattern Cut and Fabric Cut 
Simplicity 8383-->Pattern Cut 
McCall 7542-->  I do not have enough Fabric
McCall 7589--> Need to cut pattern
New Look 6522--> Pattern Cut
Sewing Skills: Working with Knits

 

No comments:

Post a Comment