Monday, August 14, 2017

Superhero shorts Burda 9641

This is becoming a trend now.   I never have enough fabric to complete a project.   I know the real reason why color blocking was invented.  The designer who started the color blocking trend is a knuckle head like me and never buys enough fabric.  Lol!

This journey began with standing in the fabric store with my son.  He made a valid point.  He told me that I have not made anything for him and that hurt my feelings.  I had to make it up to him.  So I asked him to select the fabric he wanted me to use.  It was like a kid in the candy store.  Finally he came back with three different fabrics.  I bought all three.  Then he told me he wanted a pair of superhero shorts.  We didn't find any superhero fabric that he liked.  The next day we were in Wal-Mart buying school supplies and what does he do.  He walks over to the fabric section and runs back to me with the fabric that he wants.

Confession
I have to admit that I delayed starting this project because I was afraid that I would screw it up.  I spent a lot of time studying a pair of my son's shorts to see the small details that I could add to my project in order for them to look as close to ready to wear as possible

Fitting
Did I think this was going to be an easy project? NO!  I was shaking in my socks.  I took every step super slow.  I did not want to fail and disappoint my son. 
To determine the size to cut, I compared the pattern pieces to a pair of my son's RTW shorts.  That saved me so much time.


Sewing Process
For some odd reason, I did not start with step one.  My main focus was the flap so I started there.  I knew if I could get the flaps right that I everything else would go smoothly.

After working out the details of the flap I decided to go back to step one and work on the yoke.  Then to realize that I did not cut out two of the pattern pieces.  That's when the most horrible thing happen. I did not have enough fabric for the yoke.  No Problem! Right? Color block! This is a great opportunity to cover block.  The yokes were made with a green Fat Quarter. I actually like the green yoke.  The fabric is very color so the yokes balance it a little bit.  Don't you think?
Sewing Pattern Review
Pattern Description:
Casual trousers/pants in three lengths with elastic waistband and belt carriers - easy to sew as the fastening/closure is only for show! Trousers/pants A & B have hip-yoke pockets and side flapped pockets. Trousers/pants C have patch pockets with slanted openings.
 
Pattern Sizing:
6 to 16
 
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, for the most part.
 
Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were easy to follow except for one step. 
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I did not like how the order of one of the steps.
 
Fabric Used:
Cotton
 
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I did not install the belt carriers.  This was such a casual print fabric that I felt the belt carriers were a little much.  I wanted the print to speak for itself so I did not install the side pockets.
 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I do plan to make this pattern again in the near future.  Most likely in a denim or twill.
 
Conclusion:
 My son wanted a pair of shorts and found this fabric during one of my shopping trips.
Step 14 was frustrating.  I decided to make this pattern with a lightweight cotton.  Step 14 instructs you to add a rectangular piece of fabric to the front.  Why didn't it show that step before sewing the crotch area? 

Rectangular piece for step #14 


When I added the rectangular piece it looked really weird but somehow it works.
 

Front view of the rectangular piece after adding it to the crotch


The directions did not explain how to add the rectangular piece and what to do with it.  I had to get creative.  Thankfully I am not brand new to sewing.  If this was my first sewing pattern I am confident that I would have given up on this project. 
I folded the rectangular piece in half.  With the  fabric folded the half I stitched down the original crotch line. The rectangular fabric added the extra support that my fabric needed.  


I had so much trouble topstitchint the crotch area. After three tries, I drew the topstitch line on the 
fabric and I still couldn't get it right.  You know what that means: time to practice.
 

Playing at the Park

This pattern's length is a little longer than  I would have liked.  Next time, I will shorten the hem by 5/8 of an inch.

Goofing around with my husband.  They're so silly!

No comments:

Post a Comment