Skip to main content

Simplicity and New Look Summer Patterns

There's definitely a few Patterns that I would like to make.  These patterns have a lot of options for  beginners.  There's also Patterns designed for pattern hacking which makes this seasons' patterns kind of fun.  Becoming a sewist is an adventure that allows you to use your creativity in order to create great garments.  So seeing patterns that are designed for Hacking is just opening that door to be as creative as you want to tbe and not stay in the box.  I'm excited to see what these sewing patterns will produce! The Top pattern on my list:

Mimi G's Simplicity 8394

She has always released patterns that make heads turn.  To create this look, I will need to lengthen the bodice. I can see this set in a royal blue.

Next on my like list:
Simplicity 8386. I love View C. I can dress it up or down

8392 Look good while working out.  Oh Yeah!

#8391-I think I can make View A and B for my tween

8390 has a waist tie!!!  Love it!!!

Simplicity 8379
I love the draping on the sides.

Simplicity 8380 it's one shoulder and view C is a peplum. That's a win win to me

8385 View E is super cute


Starting with 6523 for my tween daughter

6522 for my 3 and 6 year old daughters

6519 I love the waist tie

6518. For some reason I was undecided. I would love to make this pattern for my tween

6516. Who does not love a flowy maxi skirt!!

6512 I love the back detail

6509. Have you seen this pattern? If I had a flat tummy I would be all over this pattern

6508. It's all about the cut out back

6507. I'm in love with view C

Name this pattern:
  Which pattern is the exact replica of the dress below? 

Mimi G's Simplicity 8291!!!!

~Happy Sewing!~


Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.

My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.

My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.

I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.

Horrible pictures

Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?


Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...