Skip to main content

Striped Handkerchief Dress

Who does not love a handkerchief hem dress?  I am absolutely in love with them!!!  They add such a beautiful illusion to the hem.  This dress was inspired by a RTW I saw in Nordstrom's.  Unfortunately, they did not have anymore dresses in my daughter's size.  That's the great part about sewing! 

When I started this project I studied a handkerchief skirt. It didn't take long to figure out how to achieve the handkerchief hem. I traced this pattern by using a straight dress.


At the waistline, I added 2 large squares, one square on each side.

My daughter loves to twirl in dresses.



Stripes:
Side View

Back View



Matching the stripes was easy...at first. Yes, I said it--EASY!  I pinned the front and back pieces together matching the stripes.  When I started to sew my pieces on my machine everything went haywire. I was working with a jersey knit which stretches. To keep the stripes aligned I moved very slowly.





First time:
  • Sewing a dress using a RTW garment as the pattern piece
  • Sewing a handkerchief dress
  • Making my own bias tape
  • Working With stripes


I would like to make this dress again with a fuller skirt.  Kind of like this:
If you know how I can achieve this look please leave comments in the field box below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.





My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.


My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.



I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.


Horrible pictures





Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?

I

Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...