Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Floral Jacket McCall 7440

This is my first time working with Georgette fabric.  I had this fabric in my stash since last year.  Actually this is the first piece of fabric I purchased from Joann's.



 

 

Georgette fabric is not easy to cut.  The fabric constantly moves.  Finally, I weighted my fabric down with cans of corn. Lol. Yes you read correctly corn.

Needle: 70/10
Pins: Extra Fine Sharp pins
Cutting tool:  I used scissors but next time I will try a rotary cutter
Ironing: Test a scrap piece before ironing.  I put my iron on the lowest setting

I've never sewn darts in a sleeve before. Interesting look. I don't think I own any RTW with sleeve darts.  From this picture you can't see the dart in this picture but it's there.

The Georgette fabric is sheer so I decided to make French seams to add a nice tough.

First times:
  • Sewing Raglan sleeves
  • Sewing darts into sleeves
  • Sewing French Seams

Modifications:
I omitted the back piece and used the overlay as the back.

Next time I will use a jersey fabric. Maybe with a contrasting overlay in a floral print.  I am so in love with this print that I wanted my entire jacket made of this print. As a result, my sleeves were kind of tight and my big "muscles" pulled at the seams.

My sleeves were too small
 
 
 
Pattern Review
Pattern Description:
Loose-fitting unlined jackets have raglan sleeves, bands, narrow hem, and gathered back variations. A, B, D: Shaped hemline. A, B: Wrong side of fabric will show. B, C: Back overlay with narrow hem. D: Contrast bands and sleeves.
 
Pattern Sizing:
I cute a size XL for the shoulder area, scaled out to a size XXL for the bust, and then scaled back down to a XL for the remainder of the pattern.
 
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it did!
 
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were super easy to follow
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the pattern especially the darts in the sleeves.  It added a nice touch.
 
Fabric Used:
Georgette
 
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made this pattern with a non stretch fabric instead of a fabric with stretch
 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I definitely want to make this project again.  Next time I want to make this jacket the right way.
 
Conclusion:
What drew me to this pattern was the ruffle detail and the triangular shaped hemline in the back.
 
The first time around my sleeves were too tight .  So I removed the French seams for both sleeves which did not help.  Since I didn't use the recommended fabric for the sleeves, my sleeves were too tight. 
#sewingwithgeorgette

No comments:

Post a Comment