Skip to main content

Floral Jacket McCall 7440

This is my first time working with Georgette fabric.  I had this fabric in my stash since last year.  Actually this is the first piece of fabric I purchased from Joann's.



 

 

Georgette fabric is not easy to cut.  The fabric constantly moves.  Finally, I weighted my fabric down with cans of corn. Lol. Yes you read correctly corn.

Needle: 70/10
Pins: Extra Fine Sharp pins
Cutting tool:  I used scissors but next time I will try a rotary cutter
Ironing: Test a scrap piece before ironing.  I put my iron on the lowest setting

I've never sewn darts in a sleeve before. Interesting look. I don't think I own any RTW with sleeve darts.  From this picture you can't see the dart in this picture but it's there.

The Georgette fabric is sheer so I decided to make French seams to add a nice tough.

First times:
  • Sewing Raglan sleeves
  • Sewing darts into sleeves
  • Sewing French Seams

Modifications:
I omitted the back piece and used the overlay as the back.

Next time I will use a jersey fabric. Maybe with a contrasting overlay in a floral print.  I am so in love with this print that I wanted my entire jacket made of this print. As a result, my sleeves were kind of tight and my big "muscles" pulled at the seams.

My sleeves were too small
 
 
 
Pattern Review
Pattern Description:
Loose-fitting unlined jackets have raglan sleeves, bands, narrow hem, and gathered back variations. A, B, D: Shaped hemline. A, B: Wrong side of fabric will show. B, C: Back overlay with narrow hem. D: Contrast bands and sleeves.
 
Pattern Sizing:
I cute a size XL for the shoulder area, scaled out to a size XXL for the bust, and then scaled back down to a XL for the remainder of the pattern.
 
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it did!
 
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were super easy to follow
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the pattern especially the darts in the sleeves.  It added a nice touch.
 
Fabric Used:
Georgette
 
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made this pattern with a non stretch fabric instead of a fabric with stretch
 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I definitely want to make this project again.  Next time I want to make this jacket the right way.
 
Conclusion:
What drew me to this pattern was the ruffle detail and the triangular shaped hemline in the back.
 
The first time around my sleeves were too tight .  So I removed the French seams for both sleeves which did not help.  Since I didn't use the recommended fabric for the sleeves, my sleeves were too tight. 
#sewingwithgeorgette

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.





My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.


My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.



I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.


Horrible pictures





Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?

I

Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...