Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 Wrap Up


Here we are!  The end of 2017.  Where did the year go?  I have learned a lot this year and made less than I planned.  In the beginning of the year, I planned on making 100 projects.  I was pretty ambitious considering this beginning my 1st Sewing Year. I have made a total of 55 items and 24 of them for myself.  I was very productive in the month of December!  Matter of fact:  I made a skirt this morning.  Go figure!  

The beginning of this year, I was purchasing fabric, sewing patterns, and notions like Joann’s was going out of business.  Thankfully by the end of the year the desire to shop has disappeared.

2017 was an emotionally draining year.   My father-in-law passed away in January.  My family and I still haven’t come to terms with it.  This morning I grabbed my cell phone because I was going to call him to wish him a happy new year.  It was at that moment that it dawned on me. I couldn’t call him on the phone.  That moment made me realize that I still have some healing to do.

 My husband and I both changed jobs this year.   There was a lot going on my first two weeks At this new property.  The chaos really took a toll on me and even worse a toll on my family.  I was leaving my home at 5 AM and not getting home until 10 pm some times later.  I’m six weeks into this role I feel that it’s getting a little better.  I’ve made gradual changes which is the key to keeping my sanity I am working with a great team though that’s open minded so This makes the transition a little easier 

Well let’s get started with this Year End Review.
I’ve accomplished three big goals this year!

1)      Sewing Knits

2)      Working with a Serger

3)      Installing a neckline

Now on to the bad...UFOs
I have a lot of UFOs.  I’m not sure how I ended up with so many UFOs.  In 2018, I am going to dedicate the month of January to completing UFOs and mending some garments.  Some of my projects just need to be hemmed.  Others need a little more love.

UFOs-Need to complete

-See and Sew 5908 pants

-Olive McCall 7441 (I’ve worn this jacket a few times) -finish the sleeves

-McCall 6886 LBD-  Just needs hemming

-Simplicity 1249 dress

-McCal 7542 Turquoise top- need to install the facing

-Turquoise dress Burda 9438---need to install the pockets

-Pink bow dress See & Sew 5629

-See and Sew blouse 6475--need to install the facing

-Simplicity 8519 Pants 

Going to the Doctor (me) for mending

-Simplicity 1283 African Print skirt

-Simplicity 1283 Red velvet zipper back skirt

-Vogue 1531 coral dress

-McCall 9021 pink polka dot top (the neckline is too big)

-Pink tulle skirt

-McCall 7440 mend sleeves

-Pink floral Simplicity 1382

-Camouflage jacket Burda 7734

-McCall 6884 wrap dress 

Ok so now for the 2017 Garment Awards

My favorite garment is my Bohemian Style Skirt New Look 6516.  Every time I wear it I feel like I am on vacation.

My favorite and only Mommy and Me Outfit

Favorite Formal Outfit:



















Favorite Jacket



















Favorite Dress(es)  I couldn't decide on one






 

Favorite Poncho


My most worn garment is Simplicity 8379 which is a house dress!  I am thinking about making this pattern again in a solid knit to wear out.  Let’s see how that goes.
My most difficult make was Vogue 1531:

My quickest make:

You ever feel like you made a mistake by not making a pattern.  Well, this year I wish I made the following patterns:

McCall 7626

McCall 7627

Simplicity 8414

Simplicity 8415

I know I can make these patterns in 2018, but sometimes I walk into my closet and say “I have nothing to wear.”  Then out of nowhere, one of the four patterns listed above pops into my mind.  Then I say out loud “I wish I made that pattern.”  I do not want to say those words ever again.  So in February I would like to make at least 2 of the 4 patterns listed above.  

How many garments did you sew in 2017?  Did you sew everything on your sewing plan?  Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment