Skip to main content

Duct Tape Madness




For about two months I have been looking for a dressform. Joann's has the Dritz My Double Dressform for $300.  If a wait for an awesome sale or coupon I could probably pay half price for it.  Or I will have to save up money to it full price. Until I found this awesome video.

Last night, I'm at home and a light bulb lights up! Bing!   I should make a dressform!  There has to be a way to make one.  After searching online, I found an awesome video on YouTube.  Check out this video if you would like to make a duct tape dress form.


You will need a lot of duct tape.  I used 5 rolls of duct tape and ran out in the process of applying the 3rd layer.  The video recommends 5 layers.  My awesome husband was very patient with me last night. 

My family sat in the living room looking at me like a MAD WOMEN!  I couldn't stop laughing.  So the first part is done. 

Tonight my new dressform will be filled with newspapers.
It is not pretty but its the right measurements.

She needs a name
Progress Report

There's a couple projects in the making. 
  • Simplicity 8202B: I still need to stitch the bodice and skirt together and install buttons
  • New Look 6449B: I need to reinstall the facing.  I did a horrible job the first time
  • McCall 7441C:  Need to install the sleeves
  • Simplicity 8124: Pattern cut but I'm not sure if I like the fabric I choose.  Back to the drawing board


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting! I am about to Scream

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to figure out fitting.  Why is it so difficult?  I think I am going to stick with knits.  At least for a little while.   I hate making muslins.   But for my daughter's dress I had to make a muslin. Plus I graded up the bodice pieces.  Everything worked out ok but now it looks frumpy.
I made the muslin with a cotton blend fabric I found in Walmart.  It was super cheap so why not?  My muslim came out okay and only needed a little adjusting so I moved on the fashion fabric.





My fashion fabric is a stretch satin.  I don't know how because there absolutely 0 stretch.  Anywho it's a beautiful fabric.


My first fitting in the fashion fabric looked like this.



I originally did not sew 5/8 seams. My seams were closer to 3/8 because I wanted to ensure the bodice wasn't too small. But the bodice was too loose.


Horrible pictures





Then I took in 1 inch.  Now it looks out of wack and the heart is distorted. What did I do wrong?   Is it the…

Oh my sleeves McCall 7441

Well well well.  Oh sleeves. They scare me so much that I avoided this project for two weeks like seriously I started the project did the shoulders seams and the side seams and then when it came down to doing the narrow hem and installing the sleeves I panicked. So I set aside Mccall 7441 and started my Holiday Party dress, Vogue 1520.

After this jacket sat in a ziplock bag for so long,  I decided to take a crack at it.  The first sleeve fit the armhole perfectly.  The secons sleeve was too big.  How do I fix the sleeve without taking of the sleeve the sleeve?

What do I do?

I gave my seam ripper a motivational speech and then removed the sleeve.  What else was I to do?

I

Narrow Hem
The easiest way that I've found to do a narrow hem is sew a stitch 5/8" from the edge.  Then fold in the edge to the stitch line.  While folding the edge in press the fabric with an iron.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description:

Loose-fitting unlined jackets and vest have front opening variations, shape…

Holiday Party Dress 10 Days

Stressful!!!  I love a challenge.
Last night I spent the night working on a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and a Muslin.  I have only 11 days to make this dress.  I'm sweating and panicking.  My challenge begins with a Full Bust Adjustment.  There's two ways to do an FBA: cutting the pattern in 3 places or a pivot.  Vogue 1520 bodice is one full piece with the left and right sides so I decided to explore the pivot method.
After tracing the front bodice on newspaper, I proceeded to pivot the original pattern 1.5 inches on both sides of the bodice.

Here's my new front bodice. Then I made a purple muslin using some leftover Interlock fabric.  The interlock fabric was perfect to use as a muslin, because it has the same amount of stretch as my stretch velvet fabric.  The muslin was very large in the waist line so I scaled down 2 inches for the waist.  Tomorrow I will cut out my fabric and complete step one. Hopefully...