Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Plaid cloned skirt

A  few years I made my eldest daughter a skirt that she wore her first day of school.

Heres the picture from the first day of school a few years ago but you can barely see the skirt.

This all began the week before school started.  I was minding my own business when out of nowhere Pinterest attacked me.  That's not how it really how it went but close enough. Lol!  I was looking for outfit ideas for my tween when I can across this photo on Pinterest.  I felt like this photo slapped me. Why didn't I think of this Look before.  I could not seem to find a pattern to achieve the Look that I was going for.

So I made this skirt and now a few years later I need to make this skirt again as part if a cosplay costume.

I figured I would share the steps I did the first time to accomplish this look.

.

I used this skirt as a guide for size and construction.
 Here's the beautiful fabric that I picked up at Joanns
.
Instead of making a pattern piece I laid the skirt on the fabric.  I cut the fabric an inch longer and 4 inches longer to have enough fabric to create the pleats.

 
 I serged the edges for a clean finish look.

The beautiful inside.

To create the pleats I pinned the fabric an inch wide.


After pinning, I handed basted it.


Once done I measured the from to the back piece to ensure that it would be a perfect fit

Created a 1 inch hem at the bottom if the skirt.

After basting all of the pleats, took the fabric to the machine.

I hand basted the pleats to ensure that every pleat was the same size. 

Here's a closer look at the serging.


Next up is pressing.


Heres a picture of the inside before serving the seams.   This fabric really frayed


Heres my finished skirt!

I hope this was helpful.  Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment